GET THE FACTS: Your Family and Secondhand Smoke
What is secondhand smoke?
It is the smoke that comes from the burning end of a cigarette, pipe, or cigar. It is also the smoke that is exhaled by a smoker.
Why is it harmful?
- Secondhand smoke causes breathing problems, lung cancer, and heart disease.
- In children, it can cause colds, coughs, and ear problems.
- It makes asthma attacks worse and more frequent.
- In babies, it can lead to sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
Did you know that secondhand smoke can even harm your pets?
Researchers have found that exposure to tobacco secondhand smoke has been associated with:
- Certain cancers in dogs and cats
- Allergies in dogs
- Respiratory problems in birds
What can you do to protect your family?
Learn more at Tobacco Free CA
- Do not allow smoking in your home or car. Opening windows or using fans is not enough to protect your family.
- If you smoke outside, be aware of open windows. Smoke can easily drift into the house through open windows and ventilation systems.
- If you smoke, make a plan to quit.